“I feel one can say with some conviction that no man should willingly leave his home to fight, wound, maim or kill other men about whom he knows little and whom he certainly does not hate. When all men refuse to commit such follies the foundations of a true civilisation will have only just started to be laid.”
- Sam Sutcliffe, circa 1974 (extracted from his Memoir)

Sunday 14 August 2016

Somme survivor Sam is home at last! To the kindness of ordinary men, the love of his family and the bed that “represented heaven to me”…

For details of how to buy Sams full Memoir in paperback or e-book & excerpted Gallipoli & Somme episode mini-e-books & reader reviews see right-hand column
All proceeds to British Red Cross
For AUDIO excerpts click Here  Join Foot Soldier Sam on Facebook Here


Dear all

A hundred years ago this week… A plethora of attacks on the Somme Front by the British, Australian and French Armies represented a new Allied tactic which, I learn from the excellent Facebook page The Great War 1914-1918, Haig and the top brass dubbed “bite and hold”. They pursued it through the week in the aftermath of the bloody victory at Pozières (August 17, beating back a German onslaught, and 18, advancing towards the Somme), attacking and successfully defending gains along the front line section that stretched 11 miles from Clery through Maurepas to Guillemont and Ginchy (16-18).
    The French also continued to press ahead, a step at a time around Verdun – the great battle begun on February 21 – especially at Fleury and Thiaumont (August 18).
    On the Eastern Front, although some references portray the Russian Army’s mighty Brusilov Offensive (July 15-September 3) as a spent force by this point, they still had the Austrians retreating from Halicz and moving forward to Zlota-Lipa, Galicia (August 14-15, now on the Ukraine-Poland border), and Solotwina (Ukraine).
    The costly Italian victory over the Austrian Army in the Sixth Battle Of The Isonzo concluded when their C-in-C Cadorna called a halt after taking Gorizia in Italy’s northeast corner, and establishing a bridgehead over the river (August 17, casualties 51,000 Italian, 41,000 Austrian).
    Action hotted up on Greece’s northern border with the failure of the fourth wave of Anglo-French onslaughts on the heavily outnumbered Bulgarian garrison at Doiran resulting in a retreat by the Allies (August 18). But not content with merely defending their conquered Serbian territory, the Bulgarians attacked and took the town of Florina (17, Macedonia). However, the regrouped Serbian Army pushed them back in Moglena as Allied forces gathered for a further offensive in Macedonia.
    Meanwhile, my father Corporal Sam Sutcliffe from Edmonton, north London (his 18th birthday on July 6, 1916), had just got his first home leave since Christmas, 1914, after being involved in Somme front-line fighting from mid-May onwards. This followed a ’15-’16 winter at Gallipoli with the 2/1st Royal Fusiliers (250 survivors out of 1,000). They sailed from Egypt to France in late April, only to be disbanded and transferred to other outfits – Sam to the Kensingtons. They fought on the front line at Hébuterne, opposite the German positions at Gommecourt, suffering 59 per cent casualties on July 1 (see FootSoldierSam’s front-line blogs dated June 26 and July 3, 2016).

FOOTSOLDIERSAM SPEAKS
Last week, after experiencing the strange episode of the cowardly Sergeant while still on the front line, my father at last got the home leave he’d longed for – following some confusion which included a Sergeant changing the name on the pass. Carrying all his equipment, a quantity of mud and the usual livestock, he had a good journey with two NCOs by train and boat until they sighted the White Cliffs of Dover.
    At this point, a personal note. I’m hardly impartial, but I think this passage about his homecoming is beautifully written. I read his descriptions of front-line fighting and think “That's my dad in his teens lying in a shallow trench watching machine-gun bullets hit the wall behind him” or similar and shake my head with… bemusement I guess is the word. Well here, in a different context I’m looking on with bemusement too and thinking “That’s my dad who left school at 14 and spent his working life as a barrow boy and small-shopkeeper writing like a literary prizewinner”. Quite a bloke.
       Back to his journey home, the Dover to Victoria leg, Sam gazing at the passing scene…

‘Accustomed as I had been to the hot and sandy-brown scene at the far end of the Mediterranean, and then to the shattered dwellings and blasted earth of the Front in France, the greenness and unspoilt beauty of the countryside between Dover and London surprised me… in some parts, hedges and lanes extended as far as vision permitted. My mounting excitement took a lot of concealing from my two companions, older men who had, anyhow, been in England fairly recently. But I know they too felt very pleased with life in its immediate prospects; we grinned at each other with understanding and said nothing to threaten the then fashionable (stiff) upper lip.
    Only as we reached the Victoria terminus did it occur to me that I had no English money, only small denomination notes issued by a French Department – well, maybe also a couple of Bank Of France five-franc notes, but they wouldn’t fetch much. I didn’t discuss this with the two Sergeants since they didn’t mention money. I assumed they’d had time to attend to the currency problem before leaving their units, whereas I’d been on the move constantly since our Sergeant awakened me and handed me my pass.
    We reported to the Transport Officer at Victoria and he stamped our passes, told us to report to him again seven days hence, and gave each of us an information sheet which we did not pause to read at that moment, anxious as we were to hurry to our families. Before parting, we undertook to meet in a week’s time – where else? – under the clock, the big one.

And there I was, outside the station, suddenly feeling strange and rather soiled among the hurrying people, all of whom looked clean and well-dressed. I saw a bus which would take me almost the whole way home, but hesitated to board it, having no money.
    I walked to the front of the bus to check the destination board, saw the driver already in his seat, stopped and told him I’d just come on leave from the trenches and had no money for my fare. “How far are you going?” “All the way when I get some cash.” “Then here’s your fare, son.” He handed me money from his own pocket.
    The kind man would not tell me how to get in touch with him to repay the debt and seemed very pleased to have been of use to a lad home from the Front. But I soon discovered I need not have bothered the driver, for the conductor asked, as I handed him the exact fare, “Is that alright?” – which among us, the hoi polloi, meant will you be OK if you part with this lolly? So I told him where I’d got the money and we both had a good laugh.
    The bus took me through busy streets, free from any sort of war damage, where people hurried or just strolled as they pleased… It was good to see they felt free to do so, that the war was not oppressing everybody. People had their private griefs, surely, but that blessed Channel between Britain and the Continent protected and saved the people from fear – no column of enemy troops likely to appear at the far end of the street, nor enemy guns suddenly raining explosive shells on the town.
    The almost gay scene through which I passed in London brought home to me the quietness and absence of strolling civilians in the French towns I had visited. It was great. A few days of this, I thought, would do me more good than a barrel of medicine.
    As I settled into the long bus journey from city centre to suburbs, I read the sheet the officer at Victoria had given me. Of most interest was the address of the Army building in West London to which I should take my pay-book. I resolved to attend to that next day, relying on my dad to advance a few shillings to start off with. Finally, the bus reached its turning point outside a big pub about half a mile from my home and I got off with all my gear, the rifle hanging from my right shoulder, not the least bit bothered by all the weight of it, happily clumping along the pavements in my heavy, noisy boots, savouring the look and smells of the shops and houses as I passed them.
    In that developing suburb, a few grand houses still remained, though no longer occupied by the bigwigs who had formerly adorned the local scene. As brass plates or notice boards announced, they had become offices or workshops. The small dwellings adjacent to them, where the servants of the great may have lived, in some cases sported shop fronts behind which small retail businesses were conducted.
    Variety and interest abounded along my entire route, reviving memories, many of them connected to my brother Ted*. Thoughts of him brought to mind the grim scenes I had just left behind and the sad realisation that he was still over there; he might at this very moment be at risk in some awful battle or raid. But the last thing he’d want would be me worrying on his account, so onward… and finally the walk down our street to knock on the door of Number 26.**

Ma opened the door and, at first, she was unable to grasp the fact that I was her son… but soon she hugged me in welcome and in I went.
    We sat facing each other, using time, of which we had plenty, to adjust to the situation. I’d known that I would be there. She had known, or thought she had, that I was somewhere in France. Now she must really believe her eyes. I’d changed in appearance, more than I was aware. She spoke of this – not quite the baby-faced lad who’d slipped away so long ago, as it seemed to both of us.
    Then, when full realisation was achieved, she started laughing happily and so did I and we went at it for quite a while. Laughter was easier and more enjoyable than a lot of chat. We knew why we were laughing and why tears were flowing. You’re not having a real good laugh if you’re not crying too…
    My baby sister didn’t really know me, of course. But that would soon right itself… By the evening, the family gathering was complete, Ted excepted – my younger brother home from school, elder sister and my father back from work, and all of them so surprised by my sudden appearance among them.
    I had at least as many questions to ask them as they had for me, and it was pleasant to be talked to as an adult, whereas beforehand I had not quite rated that status with brother Ted the first son – I had never seriously questioned the situation because of his obvious superior intelligence and better judgement. Rather, I had felt proud of him. But I had lived through strange events and borne some small but serious responsibilities since last we were all together, and perhaps it showed. Or they may just have been naturally glad to have me there with them for a while… Either way, happiness; nor could I have wished for a more affectionate welcome.
    With less cordial relationships, I could have found difficulty in admitting that my clothing housed other creatures than myself, but fortunately tales of the crummy state of men at the front had become common knowledge and, after chatting about the lousy conditions under which we often lived on active service, Ma suggested that I strip, have a bath and dump all my clothing out back. Some items of my civvy gear good enough to wear around the house still awaited me in a drawer upstairs.
    A little later, my entrance, wearing these old things, brought on a big laugh, for I had grown somewhat. If the Army clothes had not dried by morning, I would have to lie abed for a few hours until they did, a prospect which pleased me. The lovely warm bath and the new experience of being well looked after were delights I had not dared to anticipate, contrasting so greatly with my recent mode of living that I could not properly express all the gratitude I felt for the many kindnesses shown… Tomorrow I would feel more relaxed, especially after a long sleep in a soft bed, free from all necessity to be constantly strung up and ready to act quickly in the cause of self-preservation.
    The single iron bedstead carried just a mattress with filling unknown, clean sheets, one pillow, a blanket, and a patchwork quilt, produced some years previously by members of the Mothers’ Union at the local mission church. But that bed represented heaven to me. My younger brother was already asleep when I slipped between the cool sheets. We shared a small room, but I didn’t disturb him and I enjoyed watching him, a picture of boyish innocence, before I blew out the candles.’
* To introduce the Sutcliffe family’s details to newer readers, given they’re all referred to in this homecoming passage: older brother “Ted”, officially Philip Broughton, born October 15, 1896, at 53 Great Cheetham Street, Broughton, Manchester; parents Charles Philip, born April 29, 1864, at 132, Elizabeth Street, Cheetham, Manchester, and Lily Emma, née Fleetwood, born August 18, 1872, in Lincolnshire – they married on May 2, 1894; Dorothy (always known as “Ciss”), born December 3, 1894, at 49, Great Cheetham Street (I don’t know if the birthdate means Ciss was born prematurely or conceived before her parents’ wedding! Nor do I know why her birthplace is two doors away from Ted’s two years later – since the family was wealthy then, immediately before “ruin” plunged them into poverty and down to London, it may be that another branch of the family lived close by, or that they moved a short way down the street for some reason); younger brother Alfred Brotherton, born March 8, 1903, at 24 Vale Side, Eade Road, Tottenham, London (now N4); baby sister Edith “Edie” Minnie Sutcliffe, born May 22, 1912 (three other children had died, aged one to 12).
** 26, Lowden Road, Edmonton (now N9).

All the best – FSS

Next week: Sam discovers it was Lloyd George himself who sorted out his first home leave since Christmas, 1914! And he meets a girl… the pictures, tea, French pastries, a kiss. But then he has to say goodbye to romance and to the family and start the journey back to France… twice, as it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment